Sunday, February 15, 2009

Induction Flu

My mom has been a hardcore atkins dieter for the last few years and it does very well for her. She feels better. She had been talking to me for the last few years about my sugar and carb intake. Knowing that much of anything is not healthy, I didn't realize just how many problems the sugar was causing me.

In the atkins diet there is the "Induction Phase". During this time your body has to adjust and go through with withdrawl from the bad negative foods you've been putting into your body.

One of my biggest things to get away from is sugar. I have a big sweet tooth, primarily around that time of the month and my appetite goes wild! Caffine is another thing I have to say no to because of my heart condition, that's SO HARD!

Carbs, eh.... they are in so many things, but the big ones is bread and pasta and where as I enjoy those things, I can live without them.

So when I started back on my pathway last week after a solid month of one illness after another, I decided I was doing it all.

I am not going to be successful in changing my lifestyle if I do not learn to say no to the sweet tooth. I love to bake especially for my children, but you know it's so hard for me not to touch it and am I teaching them unhealthy habbits?

So I gave it up. Not the baking, the sugar. I think a treat sometimes is fine, but it should be a left a treat and not an every day thing.

So I have been 9 days without sugar,bread, pasta, etc. Drinking lots of water and down to one diet soda a day.

The last three days I have been an absolute blah!

I talked to my mom about and asked her if it was normal after cutting back on sugar and all of that jazz to feel tired and foggy.

she said, " yep, what you're experiencing is induction flu".

Basically, just like drugs or alcohol, when you get away from it, your body withdrawls and you feel like crap until it's all of your system! I remember going through that in rehab a few years ago and it sucked bad. lol I felt like I had the flu.

So, for the last three days I have felt absolute fatigue, and brain fog. I just want to take a nap and snack on a cookie. lol Yes, the cookie sounded perfect, like a real pick me upper.

NO! I didn't do it, and I haven't and won't. I am going to work this out of my system and get through it like a trooper.

I want to change my eating habbits and not have cravings for sweets and carbs all of the time. That's what tricks me out on my diet everytime. I will lose real good and then the cravings hit and I cave and BOOM! There I am two steps forward and one step back.

It could take me a life time to get my weight off at that rate. No way! I am refusing to let it kick me.

It's hard and I'm tired, but I know it will pass!!

Used to, a few days into no sugar and the onset of the blah's, and I'd give up. But I am seeing the scales move nicely and my pants falling off, I WANT to get through it this time and not go backwards again.

No comments: