Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Muscle Vs. Fat


Five pounds of fat compared to five pounds of muslce is absolutely amzing. Seems our bodies have more room for the muscle and than the fat. And did you know that one pound of fat is eqaulivant to one pound of butter? WOW....
What I cannot understand, and I am looking at people holding up replicas of five pounds of fat, and it looks huge... is how in the hell do I have 40 lbs of that stacked on my body and where? I mean I see I am thick and chunky, kinda like clam chowder.... but that much, really??????
WOW!
Here is another nifty peice of knowlege..... one pound of fat only burns 2 calories per day, but 1 pound of muslce burns 53 calories per day.
So If I'm building muscle mass with all of my exercise and strength training.... image how many calories a day that will burn. compared to the fat.
The basicequation is this: the more muscle tissue you have, the more calories you will burn.This is why world class weight lifters must eat thousands of calories a day to maintain their weight. Muscle is active tissue, fat is not. Thus, muscle "burns" a significant number of calories each day for its own maintenance. In her book "Strong Women Stay Slim", Miriam Nelson, a Tufts University researcher, showed that a group of women who followed a weight loss diet and did weight training exercises lost 44 percent more fat than those who only followed the diet. While aerobic activity can help burn calories, muscle's where it's at when it comes to giving your metabolism a significant daily boost even at rest. So , PUMP IRON. ;)

No comments: