Thursday, December 11, 2008

What to do about family outings and get togethers??

The hardest thing for me, and the biggest problem to throw my efforts off track is the little treats like ice cream at kaliedascoops and eating out with the family and stuff. Can we do it and still lose weight?

Of course. One of the biggest things I have learned with weight watchers is, you can eat the things you like, just in moderation.

Never deprive yourself of the goodies you enjoy! The more you tell yourself no, the more you are going to want it, until you get to the point where you can't stand it any longer and no only do you give in but you gorge and later feel guilty.

I don't do that. I count everything I eat, whether it be with points or calories, and when I know I have something coming up, like tonight, I am having dinner at La Fiesta with my family, I just bank a few calories/points for the week and I make good choices.

Today, I took the kids for ice cream. Instead of getting a giant banana split, I shared a kids scoop of ice cream with my baby Neena. It was enough to satisfy my sweet tooth and I only had half of the calories since she ate the other other half. I had a treat and it was good, but I didn't over do it.

Tonight, I will try the mexican salad my mom raves about. It's made with grilled chicken and has all the lettuce , tomatos, avacados and goodies, but I will not eat the fried tortilla shell it comes in. Salsa is a free condiment, so I will enjoy that with it. Maybe 1 enchillada on the side. I had 1 egg and 1 bacon this morning for breakfast because I wasnt as hungry, and that gives me a few calories that I can put towards dinner as well. We are eating at five pm, so that meets my dinner deadline.

Since our metabolisms naturally slow down at night as we sleep, I don't recommend eating large meals late at night. I like to give myself a window for dinner between 4:30 pm and 6 pm. That way I eat, feel satisfied and give my tummy time to settle in time for my evening work out sessions.

See, the way I am doing it, is I am breaking my work out up over three times a day. Walk in the morning after breakfast, scult and strength train in the afternoons after lunch and areobic ( turbo jam) after dinner around 8 pm. I don't do it all at once, it gives my metabolism a little boost to keep going through the day, and I don't over do it and feel so tired I can't do my daily tasks. :) You get the same effects working out in segments as you do all at once. The object is to get moving, right? ;)

So, I am actually looking forward to dinner. The idea is to enjoy a meal with the family, chose wisely and don't over do it, but eat where I will feel satisfied and not tempted to rade the fridge later. ;)

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Hey,
It's me again. I've decided that I'm going to try and lose weight with you. My goal will be 10 pounds by Feb. The only problem, is that, I get so stressed from school and from life that I find it hard to deprive myself of junk food. You mentioned in your post about eating in moderation to satisfy a craving. But sometimes, it's really difficult to do that. What do you suggest I should do?

Rachel said...

Gosh that is soooo hard for even me. Because I absolutely adore sugary sweet foods! lol So, I don't deprive myself at all.

I mean, i don't just go and eat a gob of goodies when I get a sweet tooth, but I keep in mind that there are alot of empty calories in sugary foods.

Just last week I wanted something sweet soooo bad, and usually I would reach for a cookie or my all time fave a cup cake. But look at how many calories and stuff is in all of that.

So, I took one cup of frozen mixed berries ( 70 Calories )and 1/2 no fat vanilla yogurt ( 90 calories ) and a few sprinkles of granola ( 20 calories ) and made a berry parfait. OMG, it was soooo good, and it was healthy! and I my sweet tooth was gone.

Snacking is not our enemy, it's what we eat and how much of it.

Next time you go to reach for a snack, go for something good for you.

Ya know what's really good? Hummus. If you like hummus is barely has any calories in it at all and fat? nada bad fat at all.

You have inspired my next post jess.

Keep reading and good luck. And if you get a blog up for your weight loss efforts, do share it with me. I want to add it to my blog too.

Rachel